Hi, I have an old DOS medical billing software that runs great on a XP network. It will run as a stand alone on my Win 7 or 10 computer, but "locks" when I trying to run networked. I've attached 2 screenshots.
It's not too suprising. In XP, I need to add a whole host of commands in the config.nt file like device=systemroot...himem.sys, dos = high,umb, files = 180. Also, it needs the mem /c before running, which apparently helps the program see more memory...?
The settings in config.nt shouldn’t be needed, see www.vdos.info/faqs.html - “Miscellaneous” - “Files = and other directives, once in config.sys”. Mem /c just lists the memory used by programs, probably once used to look for problems (too little memory).
If the program runs standalone, it should also run networked.
In Windows XP the program needed a drive letter (F: ?) mapped to the network share. Did you also make that drive letter available in vDos by USE F: \\share-name\? If the program was started by a batch file that set some environment variables, add those also to autoexec.txt.
If it still doesn’t work, change the Target property of the vDos shortcut (“C:\vDos\vDos.exe”?) to “C:\vDos\vDos.exe /log”. Start the program and post the generated vDos.log file. That will probably show what’s wrong.
Best to leave the encryption at the default of 128-bit.
Problem will be that your program isn’t started correctly. It needs some switches, another drive letter (N: is mentioned in your screenshot), or some environment variable set. If RPM.BAT was used before to start the program, you could post that.
And, as mentioned before, change the Target property of the vDos shortcut (“C:\vDos\vDos.exe”?) to “C:\vDos\vDos.exe /log”. Then start vDos by that shortcut, the program and post the vDos.log file in C:\vDos.
Your program several times tries to open CLINIC.DIA. So that will be essential for its operation. But there’s no such file at the location VDOS\RPM\DAT\CLINIC.DIA (DOS), so neither \\P8COREPRO\C P8Core Pro\VDOS\RPM\DAT\CLINIC.DIA (Windows). Find out where CLINIC.DIA is actually located. Perhaps M.EXE relies on relative paths, or the RPM directory has to be in the root of the drive: USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C P8Core Pro\vDos\ G: CD RPM M.EXE
But you can still compare what is different with the old situation?
The paths seem to be correct/match. Windows CreateFile() API function however returns error 5, file not found. The only thing that stands out are the spaces in “C P8Core Pro”. Spaces normally can’t be used in paths w/o surrounding the path in quotes. Though that mostly concerns the Windows command line processor (a space indicating the end of a parameter). The CreateFile() documentation doesn’t mention spaces needing extra consideration. Shouldn’t be needed since the FileName parameter has a binary zero indicating its end.
Change the share name “C P8Core Pro” of P8COREPRO’s C drive to “C”, or for instance “C_Drive”, at least w/o spaces. So it would also become USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C\vDos\ or USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C_Drive\vDos\in autoexec.txt.
If that doesn’t fix the problem, send me the RPM directory. Probably only CLINIC.DIA will be needed in RPM\DAT.
Hi, I dont want to keep you up too late if you're in the Netherlands. this will be my last post til AM your time tomorrow.
Unfortunately I tried both & they didn't work. They mounting syntax seems more complicated than in XP. Do you think it might work if both are Win 7 Computers? I prefer not to give out my DOS software for now, even tho I know it's virtually worthless to other people. Thanks.
Last Edit: Sept 5, 2019 22:53:48 GMT 1 by vinyltap
To your reservation: Eventually experiment what can be left out, while the program should still more or less run. Surely don’t post it on this forum, but then send it to me directly, for instance by wetransfer.com.
Attached are 3 logs, 1 is USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C\vDos\ and 2 USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C_Drive\vDos\. These did not connect. For the 3rd try & log, I put vDos in the billing program directory in case it prefers to run out of C:\RPM or G:\RPM
this is how my autoexec.txt looks
REM 1) REM USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C\vDos\
REM 2) REM USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C_Drive\vDos\
REM 3) vDos is in RPM (dos billing software) root directory USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C P8Core Pro\rpm
For USE G: \\P8COREPRO\C\vDos\ to work, the share name at the server PC has to be set to “C”.
Go to the Windows Explorer, right click the C drive, Share with, Advanced sharing…, Advanced Sharing, change the name. Restart both PC’s, so Windows caching won’t interfere. Open \\P8COREPRO\C on the client PC in Windows Explorer, go to the vDos directory and double click vDos.exe. Since that works locally on the server PC, it should also on the client PC.
If it indeed works, eventually right click the same vDos.exe, Send to, Desktop (create shortcut).
Thanks for all your help so far, I changed server share name to just "C". Unfortunately didnt help. Before I go any further think it's prudent to try Win 7 to Win 7 server & client. This Win10 computer I just got, heard the networking could be tricky. Will get back to ya.